- Over 30 years of experience in Fair Trade and sustainable development
- Globally leader in Fairly Traded sports balls as well as other fashion, sport & leisure products
- Innovative engagement and ideas in order to improve working opportunities and welfare for disadvantaged producers
Our model: Transparency and Fairness
- Superior quality products
- Direct contacts and decades of experience
- Distribution provides work for disadvantaged people in the UK and Germany
The secret of the success of The Fair Deal Trading Partnership is based on a combination of years of direct involvement with producers, innovative ideas and transparent facts regarding social justice and environmental sustainability.
In this we are aided by decades of experience in cooperation with disadvantaged producer groups in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Fair Trade criteria, which we have developed over the years as a result of these contacts, still form the basis for the work of many Fair Trade labelling initiatives and Fair Trade companies.
Superior quality products
All of our products are made to a high standard and are competitively priced so our appeal is not limited only to Fair Trade customers. Furthermore, we are continuously working with our partners on the development of new Fair Trade products.
Our product range is the best proof of this statement:
- By far the widest range of footballs, volley balls, basketballs handballs and Rugby balls, all with the Fairtrade Foundation logo
- ETHLETIC sneakers, globally the first footwear sourced and produced in line with Fair Trade criteria as well as with Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified rubber for the soles
- High quality and Fairly Traded ETHLETIC T-shirts made with organic cotton sourced from small farms in Egypt and a range of further organic fashion and sportswear coming soon.
We can also offer NGOs, charities, companies, and clubs the opportunity to demonstrate their social and environmental credentials in a highly visible manner by producing bespoke sports balls with the Fairtrade Foundation logo, Fairly Traded sneakers with FSC certification, and ETHLETIC T-shirts (Fair Trade and organic) produced in line with individual design specifications - incorporating own labels and logos.
We co-operate with Non Governmental Organisations in order to bring footballs to disadvantaged children all over the world, especially in areas traumatised by conflict and poverty. To date we have successfully donated footballs to Children in:
- The Gambia
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka (former child soldiers)
- Paraguay (street children)
- And the list is growing...
Direct contacts, long experience
The FairDeal Trading Partnership was founded by Dr. Martin Kunz and James Lloyd. James has a background in Development and mostly deals with the UK and Irish markets and logistics. Martin is in charge of promotion in Germany and surrounding countries as well as product development in South Asia. His most recent work involved sourcing and importing FSC certified rubber for our footwear and sports balls.
James Lloyd has worked in a plurality of fields before establishing the FairDeal Trading Partnership in 2004 with Martin Kunz. He has worked as a Caribbean Chef, managed a Sushi business and has acted as an election monitor in Kosovo. In 1998 he helped organise and took part in an aid convey bringing medical supplies to female refuges in Bosnia. In the summer of 2000 he graduated from The University of Sussex and helped establish a plastic recycling project in Goa, India. He now distributes FairDeal products from our base in Brighton. He has regualrly visited the Fair Trade projects in Pakistan and is keen to develope a whole new range of Fair Trade fashion for the UK and Europe.
Martin has been working full time in Fair Trade since 1992, and in 1997/98 developed the first Fair Trade criteria for sports balls, as well as the first supply chain (both still ongoing). Before that he was the first chairman of the board of the directors of the biggest Alternative Trade Organization worldwide (gepa in Germany), and co-founder and first general secretary of TransFair International (TFI) and later the Fair Trade Labelling Organization (FLO).
Already by the 1980s his PhD was a pioneering evaluation of world shops in Germany. Martin has also been co-chairman since the inception of OekoVision, the strictest ethical investment fund trading on the Continent.
Distribution provides work for disadvantaged people.
Our distribution in the UK is managed by Pack-IT, an award winning Social Enterprise providing work opportunities for people with learning disabilities. For more information please visit the Pack-IT website.